Pack Notes for August – September 2016
Dear Pack 1714 Families,
We are off to a great start this year. We periodically send out notes to you about important events and happenings, and this the first one of this year. Feel free to print these off and post on the ‘fridge for frequent reference! Without further ado….
- WELCOME NEW SCOUTS AND FAMILIES! We signed up 32 new scouts into our pack, making us again one of the largest Cub Scout packs in the Foothills district at one of most successful sign up nights ever. Thank you to all our adult volunteers and Scouts who helped put on the program. We have a great year planned. Check out our new website at http://www.pack1714.com/. We are also on Facebook at Pack1714 and twitter at @pack1714. Finally, our communication, advancement and Pack calendar is done through scout track at https://www.scouttrack.com/ScoutTrack. If you haven’t received login credentials please see Steve Carlin or Carlton Alford.
- NEW PARENT OREINTATION and NEW CAMPER PROGRAM – SUNDAY 08/21/2016 at 4:30 at Mountain View United Methodist Church (concurrent with Tiger den meeting and Webelos 1 meeting). This is a must for all people new to Cub Scouting. We will discuss the basic program, answer questions, and provide an explanation of fund raising opportunities. Further, we will have a demonstration of basic gear and prep needed for going on a camping trip. All new parents are invited, and of course returning families if you want a refresher. We will begin approximately 15 minutes (4:45) after the Tiger Den start to allow for the Den Leaders to have time with new parents first. No uniforms needed unless your den is meeting. Bring a camp chair unless you like to stand for an hour!
- FIRST PACK MEETING OF THE NEW YEAR! Saturday, August 27, at 6:30 PM at Mountain View United Methodist Church. Join us for fun skits and a US Flag retirement ceremony. Entertainment, skits and songs provided by your scouts! We will also have popcorn sales materials for your scout and fun popcorn activities to get your scout excited about selling popcorn!
- PACK DUTY ROSTER: For our new families (and as a reminder to our returning families) our dens and families are responsible for helping out with pack meetings on a rotational basis. A copy of the duty roster follows at the end of these notes.
- PACK MEETING THURSDAY. 09/15/2016 at 7:00 PM. We will meet at Mountain View Elementary School at 7:00 P.M. Remember, if you are in the Set Up/Service Den for that Pack Meeting (see schedule below), you will need to arrive 15 minutes early to help set up the room, and stay a few minutes after to help with the take down. See Scout Track for details.
- THE SHAKEDOWN CAMPOUT is Saturday, 09/17/2016 at 6:00 PM. This is a single overnight campout at McFarlane Park, located off of Paper Mill Road across from the NASA field. The purpose of this is to get a fun first camping experience close to home, test out any new gear, and have a fun scout hosted campfire. We will arise and leave the next morning. Individual dens will make arrangements for Saturday Dinner and Sunday Breakfast (and it is entirely OK for this first trip if the arrangements for food consist of eating before you come and after you leave!) Cobbler will be provided though!
- DUES ARE NOW DUE FOR RETURNING MEMBERS. If you are returning, dues are now due. Please come prepared to pay annual dues of $100 to the pack. Remember that this covers your national registration, Boys Life magazine, and our pack programs. You can pay in person by check or online through https://squareup.com/store/pack1714
- FALL CAMPING AND TRIPS ARE AROUND THE CORNER – PLEASE LET US KNOW YOU ARE COMING. Sign up and payments are done online through Square Market place https://squareup.com/store/pack1714 or directly to our Pack Treasurer at pack meetings. All Cub Scout outings are family events, so the whole family is welcome. Fall Family Camping at Woodruff Scout Reservation, Blairsville GA is on October 7-9 ; USS Yorktown at Patriots Point in Charleston, South Carolina is November 11-13.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or write. See you soon!
Yours in Scouting,
REVISED PACK DUTY ROSTER FOR 2016-2017
SERVICE DEN: This den is responsible for arriving 15-20 minutes early to help set up the area for pack meeting, and again for helping clean up the area after we are done.
CEREMONY DEN: This den is responsible for the opening and closing flag ceremonies at the beginning and end of each pack meeting.
SHOWBIZ DEN: this den is responsible for putting on a skit or leading a song.
Pack Meeting Flag Ceremony, Set up and Tear Down Schedule (Revised 8-17-2016)
|Month||Meeting||Service Den – Set Up and Tear Down||Ceremony Den –
Open and Closing
|Showbiz Den –
Skit or Song
|July||Ice Cream Social||Pack Leadership*||Webelos 2||n/a|
|August||Sign Up Night For Scouting||Webelos 2 Required||Webelos 2 Required||n/a|
|August||Pack Meeting / Campfire||Pack Leadership*||Webelos 1||ALL!!!!|
|September||Pack Meeting||Webelos 1||Wolf||Bear|
|November||Pack Meeting||Bear||Tiger||Webelos 2|
|December||Pack Meeting||Tiger||Webelos 2||Webelos 1|
|January||Pack Meeting||Webelos 2||Webelos 1||Wolf|
|February||Arrow of Light Pack Meeting||Wolf||Tiger||Pack Leadership*|
|March||Blue & Gold Meeting||Webelos 1*||Bear||Webelos 1*|
|April||Pack Meeting||Wolf||Webelos 1||Tiger|
|May||Crossover Pack Meeting||Pack Leadership*||Wolf||Pack Leadership*|
*Bear den is responsible for running the event and accompanying Bear Carnival
*Webelos I is responsible for coordinating the event, setting the theme, and obtaining the entertainment.
*Pack Leadership is responsible for certain special events and ceremonies